Sunday 26 December 2010

The so - called Festive Season. (In my opinion)


December 26, 2010

I don’t particularly like Christmas and I don’t really believe in it. I find it a time that most people I know use to get drunk and disorderly. And this is all done in the name of the Son of God. My childhood memories of December are extremely unpleasant. It was usually a time of aggression, nastiness, drunkenness and fighting being amongst a few of them. My mother normally got drunk and ended up fighting with my father who adored her and, being musicians, my parents usually worked. There is this whole thing about traditional Christmas lunches and things that people do for Christmas, things that I never experienced. What I did know for sure was that there would be drinking and therefore fighting at Christmas time.

Now for the controversial bit…there is a wide belief that Jesus was born in March,
I also don’t believe that I have to pray though Jesus in order to speak to the God of my understanding.
There is also a wide belief that Jesus was a prophet of God and if He was the son of God, I wonder if He would have approved of the overspending and drinking that goes on in His name over the “festive season”.
My experience of “Christians” has not been good. I know very few upon whom I look and see their commitment to Jesus and to God. I see their goodness, their good work, their absolute unshakeable belief, their lack of judgement of others and most of all their faith. For these few I have the utmost respect. Thank you Greg and Lynn, Mike and Estelle and Ronel.
As for the rest of so – called Christians who take it upon themselves to judge others, use their beliefs to justify their behaviour, i.e. Jesus also drank (this was the best one I’ve heard…wine at times). That they can do whatever they wish and be absolved by going to church on Sundays with their white ties or sitting in confession and being absolved by a mere mortal, is beyond me. What has happened to making amends for your sins? What has happened to doing unto others, as you would have then do unto you? What has happened to loving your neighbour? What has happened to judge not, lest ye be judged?
The God of my understanding has never judged me. I have sinned and tried wherever possible to make amends for those sins. “Christians” have told me that my seven-year-old son was killed because of the sins of his father (this included me). I have been told that I am an abomination in the eyes of God because of my beliefs and because I am gay. (By the way, my son was killed long before I discovered my sexuality.)

1 comment:

  1. I can understand your hurt, but don't worry about the people who are not behaving according to their professed beliefs. Each of us will have to answer for ourselves when we meet our maker one day!

    Keep up the blogging! I'm looking forward to more!

    ...and thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete